Super quick, easy and tasty banana muffins with a hint of cinnamon and topped with almond streusel.
I happened to chance upon a fantastic banana muffin recipe and I can’t wait to tell you all about it.
This was a chance find on Pinterest. I always find that the best recipes seem to find you instead of you going on an extensive hunt for them. So anyway, you know I love my banana bread and muffins and I have shared my “All- Time Favourite” banana muffin with chocolate chunks and hazelnuts recipe here on Nomsies Kitchen previously.
I do believe that I have now found another recipe to add to the perfect banana muffins recipe list – this super quick, easy and tasty banana muffins topped with almond streusel. It has a touch of cinnamon added in the batter too, I always love the smell of cinnamon in baked goods. I also used a mixture of wholemeal and plain flour here.
Again, with most of my favourite recipes, it is super easy to make and does not require an electric mixer. Just whisk the wet ingredients by hand and add them to the dry ingredients. What a breeze!
Maybe that is not entirely accurate as the almond streusel does require a food processor – to simplify and quicken the process. Like with most of the times when I have used streusel in a recipe, I have always pre-made the streusel in advance. I have mentioned this previously and I am emphasising it again, it is so easy to make in a big batch and freeze in the freezer. It’s even easier if you divide the batch into single portions and bag each portion up. When you need to use it for a recipe, simply take that bag out of the freezer and thaw out in the fridge overnight or on the kitchen counter for a couple of hours before using.
Small forward planning steps in the kitchen go a really long way, as does utilising your freezer to its fullest. If you don’t believe me, just ask Jaime Oliver who has launched a whole new series entitled “Money Saving Meals” and book on how to make budget friendly meals, reduce wastage and utilise your freezer to its full potential.
I hope you try this banana muffins recipe for yourself. If you are feeling indulgent, you should know that these muffins taste really good when warmed, halved and slathered with Nutella. I think it would be a good idea to just fill them with Nutella next time I bake them. Happy baking!
Recipe for Easy & Tasty Banana Muffins with Almond Streusel
Adapted from My Baking Addiction
Prep Time: 10 minutes / Baking Time 20-22 minutes / Makes 9 Muffins
1 cup of Wholemeal Flour
½ cup Plain flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt
¾ tsp Cinnamon
3 Bananas (mashed)
½ cup Soft Brown Sugar
¼ Cup Castor Sugar
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
1½ tsp Vanilla Essence
1. Line your muffin tray with paper liners. Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
2. Sieve flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a bowl.
3. In another bowl, mash up the bananas and add in the sugar. Next, add the vegetable oil, egg and vanilla essence. Use a hand whisk and whisk gently until the ingredients are just incorporated. Don’t over whisk or the muffin batter will be dense when baked.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until evenly combined and you can’t see any flour lumps. Again, be careful not to over mix.
5. Use an ice cream scoop or level tablespoon to spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tray. Fill up to about ¾ full. When that is done, add on the almond streusel, use the back of a tablespoon to gently press the almond streusel into the batter. Remember, the idea is not to cram in the streusel but just to press it into the batter just enough so that it does not spill out too much when the muffin batter rises as it bakes.
6. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when tested in the middle of each muffin and the streusel is nicely browned.
7. Remove from oven and leave muffins to cool in the muffin tray for about 5 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, remove muffins from tray and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
Recipe for Almond Streusel
Head over to this post for the almond streusel recipe.