|Super soft and moist coffee cake with crunchy, crumbly almond streusel|
Yesterday night, I wanted something that didn't come in a cookie form. As the saying goes, you can’t have too much of a good thing. I also wanted to use up some sour cream and some thick Baileys cream that I have languishing in my refrigerator. So, after dinner I baked this coffee cake and topped it off with some almond streusel. I had some leftover almond streusel in the freezer as I made a big batch for some blueberry muffins previously. As such, it saved quite a bit of time for me. However, if you need to make a fresh batch of almond streusel, do give yourself some extra time as the almond streusel must be rested and chilled for at least 2 hours before you use it.
I was not too pleased with the photographs as it was taken quickly at night in yellow light as my greed didn't allow me to keep the cake uneaten until the morning. So, these photos will have to do. Until next time, happy baking!
Recipe for Coffee Cake with Almond Streusel Topping
Prep Time: 20 minutes (not including time for preparing almond streusel)/ Baking Time: 45 minutes
You will need an 8” cake tin
200gm All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt
200gm Castor Sugar
1 large Egg
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
120gm Sour Cream
100gm Baileys Thick Cream (coffee flavoured)
30ml Black Coffee (1 tsp coffee diluted in hot water)
200gm Almond Streusel (recipe follows)
1 Tbsp Soft Brown Sugar
1. Grease the cake tin and line with parchment paper. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C. Next, start by preparing the dry ingredients. Sieve the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl. Add in the salt and whisk to combine the ingredients.
2. Cream the butter with a mixer until it has softened. Add the castor sugar and mix until evenly combined and the mixture is fluffy.
3. Add the egg and vanilla essence, mix until just combined. Do not over mix after you have added the egg.
4. Now, fold in the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream, Baileys and coffee mixture. Add a third of each mixture/ingredient at a time to ensure that it is even. Make sure the batter is evenly mixed after each addition.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. In a bowl, combine the almond streusel and tablespoon of soft brown sugar and roughly whisk together with a fork. Add the streusel topping all over the top of the cake. Bake for 45 minutes or until the streusel is golden brown and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Recipe For Almond Streusel
Prep Time: 10 minutes (active prep time)/ Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before use
60gm All Purpose Flour
60gm Ground Almonds
60gm Castor Sugar
¼ tsp Salt
1. Cut the cold butter into cubes. Place in a food processor. In a bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, ground almonds, castor sugar and salt together and whisk to evenly mix. Add the flour mixture into the food processor with the butter and pulse for about 15-20 seconds until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
2. Put the mixture into a resealable plastic freezer/sandwich bags. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before using. The almond streusel can be made in a big batch if you are intending to use it for other bakes, such as on top of muffins. It can be frozen for up to a month. Just put in the refrigerator to thaw out before using. Streusel should be used cold.